This tutorial shows you how to create and edit your category structure in Magento 2 by adding or removing categories from it.
If you’re looking at Magento 2 for the first time, don’t be surprised to find the menu bar on the left-hand side, and not along the top of your screen.
Step 1. Create Categories
– To get started, click on the Products menu on the left-hand side and then click on Categories.
– Then click on Add Root Category as you would need one root category per website.
– Next, click on Default Category and then Add Subcategory to create your top level category.
– Type your top level category in the Name field, set the option Is Active to Yes, and then ignore the other options for now and click on Save Category in the top right-hand corner.
– To create a subcategory, click on your top level category, which is Bags, followed by Add Subcategory.
– Enter your subcategory in the Name field, set it to Is Active by choosing Yes, and then press Save Category in the top right-hand corner.
To create additional subcategories, click on the top level category again and then Add Subcategory.
– To delete a category, select that specific category on the left-hand side, and then click on Delete Category at the top right.
– A pop-up message will ask you if you’re sure you want to make this deletion; this prevents deleting a category by accident.
If you are sure click on OK, but if you’re not click on Cancel.
Step 2. Assign Categories to Your Products
– Go back to the Products menu then click on Catalog.
– Choose a product that you want to assign categories to.
– On the left-hand side of this product page, you see different options that you may use in setting up a product on your website.
– Scroll down the page then enter the keywords of the categories that you created earlier into the Categories box.
– While you’re at it, you can create a new subcategory on the fly by clicking on the button labelled New Category to the right of the Categories box.
– Type your new category in the box labelled Category Name, your top level category in the Parent Category box, and then press Create Category in the top right-hand corner.
– That category will be automatically added not only to this product, but also to your category structure in the Categories menu.
– Once that’s done, click on Save in the top right-hand corner.
Step 3. View Your New Categories on Your Website
– Click on your username in the top right-hand corner and then click on Customer View to get to the front-end of your Magento website.
– There in the top menu bar of your website is your new top level category, which reveals the subcategories within it when hovered upon.
– Click on both subcategories, and you will see the product to which they were assigned.
If you need a hand at any time, use the contact details below and the forums here are always open.